- This event has passed.
Learn Natural Beekeeping – Moruya – November 2017
November 18, 2017 @ 9:00 am - November 19, 2017 @ 4:00 pm$380 - $420
Are you ready to plunge into Natural Beekeeping? Then come and join Adrian Iodice for a fascinating and informative weekend learning natural, organic, Bee-centric, Bee-care using Kenyan Top Bar Hives.
A unique beekeeping course, teaching a completely different style and approach to standard conventional Beekeeping. You will leave the course full of enthusiasm and the confidence to start caring for a Bee colony of your own.
In the olden days, almost everyone had a bee-hive in their garden. Today, you rarely see bee hives in back gardens. Bees are disappearing. It’s a known fact that we no longer have enough honeybees to pollinate the world’s crops. In northern China, the honeybee is almost extinct due to the excessive use of insecticides. Gangs of people climb trees with bags of pollen and tiny brushes to hand pollinate fruit crops.
We need to have more bees and the best way is to have a small hive in your back garden. Keep Bees for the bees’ sake and value them as pollinators first (and honey producers second). Become natural beekeepers. Rather than a focus on ‘taking from’ the bees, natural beekeeping is about ‘giving back.’ Natural Beekeeping promotes the Kenyan Top Bar Hive as one of the natural bee hives for backyard and small-scale Beekeepers (Bee-carers).
This course is designed for the beginner backyard and small-scale beekeeper seeking an alternative approach to standard commercial style beekeeping.
What you will Learn
In this two-day course you will learn:
- The intimate life of a Honey Bee colony (The Bee-ing), how to catch and relocate a swarm and the fundamentals to start up and manage a colony of your own.
- About a number of different hives and discuss the pros and cons of them all.
- Types of equipment you will need to catch swarms and to manage your Kenyan Top Bar hive.
- Bee developmental stages, queen development, the importance of natural honeycomb, the super organism, where to position a hive, harvesting natural raw honey, tool needed for harvesting, season to season management techniques and swarming.
- The difference between the Langstroth and a Kenyan Top Bar beehive.
These subjects are by no means exhaustive!!
- Plans to build your own Kenyan Top Bar Hive (Les Crowder X Phil Chandler hybrid).
- A full list of resources including great books, websites and films to learn more in your own time.
- Continued support and access to Adrian for any questions on your journey into Honey Bee guardianship.
- Meet, hang out and hopefully stay in touch with other great people who are on the same path.
- Morning and Afternoon teas and Lunch on Saturday and Sunday with Bread, organic butter and lots of raw home grown organic Honey.A two-day course with one of Australia’s leading pioneers of natural beekeeping.
BOOK COURSE here: http://sageproject.org.au/event/natural-beekeeping-course/