- This event has passed.
Natural Beekeeping – Canberra – October 2017
October 28, 2017 @ 9:00 am - October 29, 2017 @ 3:00 pm
Are you ready to plunge into Natural Beekeeping?
Our courses are unique in that we teach a completely different style and approach to standard conventional Beekeeping.
You will leave with the confidence to start caring for a Bee colony of your own.
What you will Learn
You will learn about the intimate life of a Honey Bee colony, how to catch and relocate a swarm and the fundamentals to start up and manage a colony of your own
We will look at a number of different hives and discuss the pros and cons of them all. We will look at types of equipment you will need to catch swarms and to manage your hives.
You will learn about Bee developmental stages, Queen development. The importance of natural comb, where to position a hive, harvesting natural raw honey and tools needed for harvesting, beekeeping swarm management.
These subjects are by no means exhaustive!!
- Plans to build your own Kenyan Top Bar Hive (Les Crowder version)
- A full list of great books, web sites and films to learn more in your own time
- Continued support and access to Adrian for any questions on your journey into Honey Bee guardianship
- Meet, hang out and hopefully stay in touch with other great people who are on the same path.
- Fully catered lunch on Saturday and Sunday
- Morning & Afternoon tea on Saturday and Sunday with Bread, organic butter and lots of raw home grown raw organic Honey
Its going to be a full 2 days of information so bring:
- A pad and pen to take notes
- A light coloured, thick, long sleeve shirt or pullover
- Long loose fitting pants
- Fully enclosed shoes
A veil and bee suit will be provided by the club, but bring your own if you have one and prefer it.
You can also bring a recording device if you like or a video camera.
We will look into an active hive only if weather permits!
The apiary is located on the Jerrabomberra Wetlands and has ten active beehives, two of which are Kenyan Topbar beehives & 2 Warré beehives.
For beekeepers association of the ACT club members
Early Bird Booking
(available until 22 September 2017)
(after 22 September 2017)